Family Support Group
Programs & Support
About Mental Illness
A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.
What is Recovery?
Recovery from serious mental illness is not only possible, but for many people living with mental illness today, probable. The notion of recovery involves a variety of perspectives.
We're Here to Listen
IN CASE OF A LIFE-THREATENING EMERGENCY: CALL 911
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS HAVING SUICIDAL THOUGHTS:
Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
FOR A NON-LIFE-THREATENING BUT URGENT MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS:
Call the Pierce County Crisis Line available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 800-576-7764
Crisis Text Line: crisistextline.org – text 741741 (mobile fees waived)
Call the NAMI Helpline at
A peer-led group for adult family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals living with mental illness. Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances. NAMI Family Support Group will help you:
- Talk productively about your challenges and goals
- Find a community who can relate
- See the individual first, not the illness
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Work for a better future in a realistic way
- Benefit through other’s experiences
- Discover your inner strength
- Learn how to identify local resources and how to use them
From Next Door To Across Pierce County
Become a Member
Become a part of NAMI! Subscribe to the latest mental health updates, participate in an online discussion group, learn how to advocate in your community and add your voice to the mental health movement.
Thank you for your generous tax-deductible donation. You are helping us provide support, education, and advocacy to thousands of people living with mental illness in Washington.
Get In Touch
The families and members of NAMI Pierce County are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.